Picture used for illustrative purpose.
IndiaÂ confirmed its first monkeypox death on Monday, a young man in the southern state of Kerala, in what is only the fourth known fatality from the disease in the current outbreak.
Last week, Spain reported two monkeypox-related deaths and Brazil its first. The death inÂ IndiaÂ is also the first in Asia. The World Health Organization declared the outbreak a global health emergency on July 23.
The 22-year-oldÂ Indian man died on Saturday, Kerala's revenue minister told reporters, adding that the government had isolated 21 people who had come in contact with him.
"The person reached Kerala on July 21 but visited a hospital only on July 26 when he displayed fatigue and fever," Minister K. Rajan said, adding that there was no reason to panic as none of the primary contacts were showing symptoms.