Picture used for illustrative purposes only.
The fire started in a dining room and spread to the other rooms, killing five elderly people and a caregiver, said Aaron Barbosa, spokesman for the Sao Paulo Fire Department, on Saturday.
Named "Lar da Vovo", the nursing home lacked a sanitary operation permit and was also operating without authorisation from the Fire department, Xinhua news agency reported.
Neighbours said that they were unaware that a nursing home was operating there. The fire lasted nearly four hours, according to witnesses.
Indo-Asian News Service